Our family is in Peru for two years to serve with Extreme Nazarene. We are living in the jungle city of Puerto Maldonado supporting our team of 8 missionaries as 12 churches are planted here in 18 months! Please keep checking in to keep up on our our ministry and adventures in Peru!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

My New Guitar Friend and Mentor

So I met Luis about 3 months ago when he was playing at a local restaurant down the street from our house. He plays with two friends of his nearly every night. I happened to notice that he wailed with a really cool smooth jazz at 72 years old. I asked him where he learned to play and he learned in Brazil about 55 years ago and he´s been playing with the same guitar ever since. I then asked him if he taught lessons which he did for 10 soles per hour(which is about $3.15) and 4 soles for the taxi ride. We set up a date to jam at my house and began our lessons. Following our first lesson he asked me if I had any vitamins around, which seemed a little odd around. But he has says he can't find good vitamins down here, he needs American vitamins. He was obviously very interested in them so I tolk him I would look into it. I then asked my wonderful parents who thankfully sent down a bottle of Centrum Silver and Cardio. So we decided right there to trade lessons for vitamins. It´s been a wonderful experience and he´s taught me some great harmonic chord progressions and a great spanish worship song. It's the sweetest thing, whenever we talk about Jesus, he just get´s up and jumps around like he´s a little child describing the greatest thing in the world. He puts his arms out like Jesus dying on the cross and then acts out his resurrection describing it with such conviction. It is so wonderful to meet and spend time with this man who loves his savior. Also it is great to see how much he loves to see Kai, they have a great time together, they both are just gitty. We´ll that´s a little about the Luis who has blessed our lives and taught me some great guitar.

No comments: